Saturday, July 12, 2008

June 24, 2008

Disability Ride


Ok, so it has been a very long time since I have sat down at the computer. But I have a very good excuse . . . I broke my shovel. I know you are wondering what that has to do with anything. Well years ago my mom said that any excuse is as good as another so you might as well say "I broke my shovel.". So that has become the running family joke.

Anyway. I wanted to add pictures and updates to our summer adventures. On Tuesday June 24th the local 4-H office organized a disability ride for the families in town. 4-H members with calm, safe horses were asked to bring them and lead others around.



There was at least one rider and one handler.

In some cases there was a handler, rider and walker-besider. (yeah I just made up that word.)

Still for others there were a rider, handler and one person on each side to maintain a perfectly safe environment for everyone.

The "kids" that came to ride had a ball. We played games like follow the leader, simon says and red light, green light. It was a lot of fun getting to know the kids and parents. It was also a great opportunity to let the families know that we have started an Equine Outreach Program (it still doesn't have a name) and that their child can ride more often than once a year. We have already had one person come out from the ride and we are in contact with others that are trying to schedule a visit.

This was a neat way for the 4-Hers to give back to their community.

No comments: